Thursday 5 February 2015

How Virtually Anyone Can Get an Rx for Amphetamine... Sorry, I Meant to Say Vyvanse

After writing yesterday's blog post about Monica Seles helping Shire promote Vyvanse for Binge Eating Disorder (B.E.D.), which is a new indication for the ADHD drug, I wondered if this would make it easier for young people to obtain prescriptions for Vyvanse, which is a Schedule II controlled substance with a high potential for abuse.

Like overweight college students, I too could use a little "pick me up" pill from time to time.

Since there is no lab test to confirm a B.E.D. diagnosis, all I have to do to get a prescription for Vyvanse is convince a doctor that I meet all of the DSM-5® diagnostic criteria for binge eating disorder, which Shire provides here on the BingeEatingDisorder.com website.


Of course, I have to "certify that [I am] a US health care professional and [I am] opting to receive information about binge eating disorder plus site updates, educational information, patient support resources, and other information from Shire," which anyone can do -- even me, who is definitely NOT a health care professional. No problem, that was easy.

But just in case you are reluctant to pose as a doctor and opt in for email from Shire, you can avoid the DSM and use Shire's handy "Binge Eating Disorder (B.E.D.) Symptom Checklist," which you can find on the "Talking With Your Doctor" page where "Starting the Conversation Is Key."

It's easy to use the Checklist and get a printout (pdf file) to bring to your doctor. Here's how I filled in the Checklist and the advice I got from Shire on "starting the conversation" with my doctor - a surefire way of getting a prescription for Vyvanse and the boost I need during my busy day.

Read more »

No comments:

Post a Comment