Friday 1 May 2015

Pharma Buzzwords Heard During a Conference

Pharma marketers cannot communicate with each other without using "buzzwords." Some critics suggest, however, that some of these buzzwords alienate patients and physicians (see, for example, "Do Marketing Buzzwords Affect Pharma's Reputation Among Patients & Physicians?"). According to results to date of a new survey, even pharma insiders think there may be too many terms that just are not useful and should be dumped!

Before I present some preliminary results from that survey, I'd like to show you a real world example of the use of buzzwords mentioned during an industry conference, specifically the Transforming Healthcare Conference that was hosted by MM&M in NYC yesterday.

I wasn't able to actually attend that conference, so I followed the Twitter stream from the conference via the unfortunately very long #transforminghealthcare hash tag. Of course, this method may not have revealed all the buzzwords that were actually mentioned by presenters at the conference. But terms become "buzzwords" only when they are repeated --i.e, when they create "buzz"!

To keep track of the buzzwords, I used my handy Pharma Buzzword Bingo Card! Whenever a buzzword (or equivalent term) on the Card was mentioned in the Twitter stream, I drew a diagonal across the term in the Card.

Here's what my Card looked like at the end of the day:
Read more »

No comments:

Post a Comment