Wednesday 11 November 2015

In-Video Drug Ads on YouTube: Should They be "Non-Skippable?"

Yesterday, I wanted to cook stuffed artichokes for dinner. So, I searched Google for a video and found this on YouTube: "ITALIAN STUFFED ARTICHOKES - SICILIAN STYLE - EASTER DINER RECIPE."

Before the cooking lesson started, there was an in-video ad for an Rx drug, the name of which I can't recall right now. No matter. After 15 seconds or so I realized I could click on "Skip Ad" and not hear any more of the side effects, aka FDA-required Important Safety Information (ISI), "major statement," and "Fair Balance" stuff that is usually crammed into Direct-to-Consumer (DTC) TV ads after about 20 or 30 seconds.

Ruth Day of Duke University once said of print and TV DTC drug ads (here): “Risk information is physically present but functionally absent.” This accurately describes what's happening in skippable in-video DTC ads on Youtube.

According to YouTube Help, there are two versions of in-video ads: (1) skippable ads like the one I saw, and (2) non-skippable ads.

It seems that pharma uses only the former, not the latter. Is this acceptable?

Read more »

No comments:

Post a Comment